Sunday, January 13, 2008

Admirals host IceHogs for the first time

powderhornhockey

Last night at the Bradley Center the Milwaukee Admirlas hosted the Rockford Ice Hogs for the first time. The usually eager traveling fans for the Hogs were fewer in number than expected. The usual suspects were there. Elvis and his gracious wife to be sure and probably 50 others to stand when the red light over Pekka Rinne's head went on. They were not to go home disapointed. After lack luster first and second periods the Hogs reorganized and fiinally moved a man on to point. 30 minutes later the victorioius Hogs had won in a shoot out.

It's nice to see the new kid on the block making a name for it's self agains't your biggest rival. Now for some images of the game.




Powderhornhockey

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just a real quick observation....then I will be back to add some more comments.

You had commented about how "white" one of my photos was. It may be because you're used to a certain type of photo. Most cameras are programmed to assume an 18% gray. So, when you take a picture of something white...it looks 18% gray. You have to edit these to get that gray out. When I first started doing this...I thought they looked overly white too.

I'm not sure what ISO, aperature, and shutter speed you're shooting at....It appears there is some blur and underexposure to some of your shots. Before I got the new lens, I shot at ISO 1600 on Aperature Priority. I set the aperature as low as it would go and let the camera adjust the shutter speed. The downside to this is that you're restricted to shooting from the glass to about the net and/or blueline. Beyond about the half way point....you're going to get blurred/grainy, underexposed shots. You can try to shoot

Shooting hockey....I don't concentrate so much on the faces. In a sport with as much action as hockey....you'll get facial expression as a bonus to the action shots. Don't use spot metering as it restricts your focus. I use the open setting where the processor will factor in the "whole" shot.

You mentioned using a mono-pod the next time. That will help a lot. Especially when it comes to slower shutter speeds.

I'll add more later....but, have to get going for now. If you have any questions....please feel free to ask.

Powderhornhockey said...

ISO 800, rarely 1000. 50/ 5.6 seems to be my "Usual hockey settings. I then play with a 1/2 to 3/4 stop adjustment.

The light was funny at the BC on Sat. I kept fiddling with the settings until I thought it looked right, but the the above numbers are a good ballpark. Everything was shot with the 70/300 lens.

Keep the comments coming.

When you get to the AA you have to reset everything for different ends of the ice, it's wild.

Powderhornhockey said...

Oh, when your shooting it is almost impossible to look at the faces during action . The focus on faces comes in the editing process. It just seems to be a difference in our styles as artists, NBD.