Monday, September 10, 2007

Traverse City, just the smell of the place...

No doubt about it after two months without hockey Friday night I slept like a 5 year old on Christmas Eve. Tomorrow come noon my favorite subject was going to open itself up to me for a new season of action, art and splendor. Traverse City is the perfect place to start a hockey season. First and foremost the volunteer staff at Center Ice make everyone from athletes, parents and press feel like family. Then there is the city it's self, TC is beautiful with an abundance of fine restaurants and wineries to keep you well fed and lubricated when not watching the worlds greatest sport. Lastly there is the atmosphere of Center Ice. The arena boasts of year round ice and it just plain smells different than the seasonal stuff we have in Chicago. If it could be bottled, that is what I would want my car to smell like. That way morning drive time would remind me of why I work hard at my day job-to support my hockey and photography passion.

I make no secret of the fact of my love of defensive game, three days deep into the tournament I have some good news for Grand Rapids fans and Peoria, you have some nice netties heading your way. However, to those in Iowa, hold on to your socks,the news isn't rosy. Tobias Stephan(6'175lbs,AHL Iowa) on Friday went into the net cold and gave a lack luster performance. Saturday JC Blanchard(6'2"190lbs Victoriaville,QMJHL) was lit up like a Christmas tree. He needs a year more in the hockey incubator and a look see next year, no shame there. But to put it bluntly unless management has a plan it could be a long season first ahead in Iowa.

Detroit's goalie on Friday was Dominic Vicari(5'10" 190lbs, ECHL Toledo), he looked good,light on his feet and quick to respond. At one point it looked like he was about to join in on a fight behind the net.(His gloves were off before he thought the better) I like a goalie with passion. Spending last year in Detroit's ECHL farm team the infamous Toledo Storm he looks AHL and Grand Rapids Griffins ready.

Peoria season ticket holders, Mike McKenna (6'2" 190lb, ECHL Las Vegas) was the surprise of the weekend. Nice butterfly, fast hands and the eye of the tiger. Best yet for photogs he has a graceful stance and an expressive face.I am so happy we will be possibly seeing so much of Peoria and McKenna in their net this year in our midwest nifty AHL bus league.




href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjgc33_WMAihbwpTX5nWzFQy-53noMQvG8RkyKgTmSQT5oH4rYzhzRVUxZe_9eAEXfBBGxpohWm5kLIMAaIB_yUs4cPa9gHZvjqLAE8TJMP-2llK1pmDjg6gLC0kLH83xpIrumBeCNwXMk/s1600-h/070907+rrw+dal+146.jpg">

No comments: