Wednesday, August 5, 2009

David Phillips On Defense, I like what I see...

It is hard to get a real grip on a player with as brief a look as I got of Davy Phillips last month. True, there were the web casts of the Giants games last winter where I was introduced to this young man holding his own in a in a 20 minute bench clearing brawl against arch rival Newcastle Vipers. Feel the love...Hey, they all shook hands at then end of the game! What caught my attention about Davey Phillips is simple he is a blueliner who stays at home. You don't need a Low Jack to find him on the ice.

This is what I like best about him though... just look at these photos on two days of camp there he is, he gets it, simply gets it. Nobody comes between you and the goalie! Pewee stuff but how many goals, games and series have been lost because some go getter got between a D-man and the goalie. It all comes down to the basics and it looks like Phillips has this one rock solid. Davy Phillips may have "player development" ahead of him in the next year in his transition from the Elites to the American Hockey League looking toward the National Hockey League but David has a good start.




powderhornhockey

To quote Roddy Doyle, " It's a start and I believe in starts" , the American commitment for this young man is beginning . The rest of the good stuff should follow.

No comments: