Sunday, November 30, 2008

Sunday Morning, at Tim Hortons...life is good.

It's early on this last day of Thanksgiving weekend and being of the religious persuasion, I rose at the crack of dawn and drove to Tim Horton's for a cup of coffee and a pair of Tim Bits's 20's for the ride home. One for us and one for WK the penalty time keeper for the Wolves. The last time he had a box of Timmies the Wolves won so it has become a bit of a tradition to bring Timmies home when on the road. I tell the earnest young man behind the counter the destination of one of the boxes of Bit's and I don't think he believes me until I empty the box of the Timmies into a zip lock bag for the ride home. Then the moment comes, the XL coffee with cream and 4 Splenda is placed in my hand and it is to the table I go to enjoy what is arguably the finest and freshest cup of coffee in the world, OK, North America.

It has been four days since Kissane and I packed up the van had headed to Rochester to see the family on Wed for a weekend of turkey, family stories and not much hockey. Quite a change for us, although my niece Kristine did tell us about a league goalie she knew from Qswego State who's big mojo was to tape his stick in the nude in the locker room before games-TMI ! I did manage to catch a period of the Amerks-Manchester game on TV Thursday night. For a team that supposedly is in at the bottom they looked pretty good. Friday against Lake Erie they looked even better winning despite Karl Stewart , bless his heart getting a tripping penalty at the wrong time giving Cleveland a two man advantage. Rochester Goalie Chris Beckford -Tsu managed to stand on his head for two minutes and save the day. Something many of us can remember him doing from his time in Peoria.

My cup grows empty and I promised the family I would be back in an hour to have a last meal, pack the van and be on the road early as the weather forecast has bad tidings along the Great Lakes. With luck WK will have his box of Tim Bits at 3:00 at today's game, be nice to him and he just may give you one. Mine will be long gone by noon.

No comments: