Thursday, July 31, 2008

Scotty Bowman to Join Chicago Blackhawks

As soon as I can stop hyperventilating I'll come up with a witty comment. For now I'm speechless, will we again hear "Here come the Hawks, the mighty Hawks." This is proving to be a most exciting off season!

Article courtesy of TSN, I'm having trouble typing breathing into a brown bag....


"The Chicago Blackhawks are naming legendary coach Scotty Bowman as a Senior Advisor, Hockey Operations on Thursday.

Ranking first among all NHL coaches in games coached (2,141), wins (1,244) and Stanley Cups (nine), Bowman is revered as an all-time great behind the bench.

Bowman, 75, was a head coach for thirty NHL seasons with the St. Louis Blues, Montreal Canadiens, Buffalo Sabres, Pittsburgh Penguins and Detroit Red Wings and has served as a consultant with the Red Wings since he retired after winning the 2002 Stanley Cup.

He'll join a talented young Blackhawks franchise that is led on the ice by reigning NHL Rookie of the Year Patrick Kane, as well as first-line centre Jonathan Toews, providing support to the front office team headed by President John McDonough and General Manager Dale Tallon.

Bowman's son Stan is an Assistant GM, Hockey Operations with the Blackhawks."

2 comments:

GETkristiLOVE said...

He walked right by me one time after an Avalanche game - I didn't realize how short he is - came up to about my bra line.

Powderhornhockey said...

It would be hard to name a coach who has left his mark more firmly on professional hockey of the last four decades than Scotty Bowman . I'm still speechless, but my mind is slowly trying to reach around just how this will affect the team culture of the Hawks. Times are changing under Rocky Wirtz leadership.