Monday, February 11, 2008

Great Gifts, keep giving you greater gifts.



Last year Kissane gave me something beautiful a classic Black Hawks knitted sweater. It was the perfect gift for several reasons, first I have always thought the logo the most beautiful in the NHL. Second it was a sweater,a great thought for I am also known as "Chilly Willy". You can always spot me wearing layers of sweaters, a light wool coat and a pashimas. Still I'm cold, but, this heavy classic sweater does the job, "Chilly Willy" is a warm photog in her Black Hawk colours. Shortly after I unwrapped it I thought about having a classic and classy name put on it's back. I did a little research and there could be no other name, Reggie Fleming. Started off with the Habs, then to Chicago where he earned the name Mr. Clean, then on to my beloved Buffalo Sabres in the expansion draft. I believe I may have actually seen the man play with the Sabres but I couldn't swear to it. So a quick trip to the pro shop and the deed was done, I had my beautiful sweater and a great name attached to it. What I didn't know was how the sweater and the name was going to keep giving to me every time I have worn it.

The first time I wore it to work Chris,in security instead of saying hello greeted me with the "Mighty Hawks" song, something he continues to this day. Chris always loves to talk hockey and at last he has someone at work to start the day with a bit of hockey talk and so do I.


I hear lots of stories,some great ones from a fellow nurse who attended games sitting with the organist at the Old Chicago Stadium. Last Friday one of the teachers at another location told me with his eyes dancing of a Hawks game he saw with Savard and Gretzky on the ice together. People just see this sweater and the memories come to them and the stories to me.

Today is just the latest example, I was at a professional meeting, picking up a packet of information from the American Diabetes Association. The woman behind the table asked me if this was "the Reggie Fleming's" sweater. No, just my Reggie's sweater,a conversation quickly developed. She told me of a charity match between the Black Hawks Alumni and the IIT Alumni that is scheduled to take place early next month, for the American Diabetes Association. I told her I had never been to a Hawks game and would be thrilled to be there and so would my camera. As soon as I have more information on the event you will see it here.

Reggie Fleming, there must be some magic in this sweater. Your getting me to a Hawks game and yes I'll be wearing #6 with bells on. In case I haven't said it lately, thanks, Kissane. My Reggie sweater makes me feel warm all over in more ways than one.

No comments: